The Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild (SWG) seeks a candidate to fill a full-time, 30-hour per week position as Indigenous Program Coordinator to be based in the Regina office with occasional travel to Saskatoon and throughout the province.
The Indigenous Program Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the development, coordination and implementation of SWG’s Indigenous programs and services. The full time, in-scope position includes research for funding and resources for programming, grant applications, planning, organizing, budgeting and tracking expenditures, and delivery and evaluations of programs. This role provides leadership in providing cultural awareness and protocols to the membership and community-at-large and by being a part of the programming team to the SWG and community.
The Indigenous Program Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director and their immediate supervisor and primary liaison is the Program Manager. The Executive Director reviews his/her performance. The Indigenous Program Coordinator liaises with Indigenous writers, network with First Nation and Métis communities, establish and maintain productive partnerships with stakeholders, funders and other relevant organizations, seek funding through grant applications and sponsorships, provide programs and programming support as necessary, and maintain databases of relevant information in accordance with the SWG policies and practices.
• Determine, create, develop, organize and implement Indigenous workshops, programs and events, including national events
• Network with agencies, organizations and establish liaisons and partnerships
• Research sources for funding for Indigenous writing programs and activities
• Apply for grants for programs and establish budgets
• Prepare reports and documents as requested by SWG’s funding agencies
• Research current writing programs and services in Saskatchewan that serve Indigenous people
• Research potential markets and information on the business of writing for Indigenous participants
• Connect and hold discussions with Indigenous writers provincially and nationally
• Determine cultural awareness protocols and connections to implement Indigenous programming
• Maintain databases to facilitate operating SWG’s Indigenous programming
• Work with the SWG programming team
• Write and distribute materials for related documentations
• Maintain Guild’s Indigenous Facebook page and Twitter accounts
• Strong knowledge and experience in developing cultural programming and event planning and management
• Familiarity with writing programs and events throughout Saskatchewan
• Education and/or experience in writing and the arts
• Strong background with Indigenous artistic communities and community development resources
• Knowledge of Indigenous literature, publishing
• Awareness of First Nations & Métis cultures, languages and protocols
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Experience in grant writing and preparing budgets
• Strong organizational and prioritizing skills
• Valid Driver’s licence
Please forward your résumé and references, along with a cover letter indicating how you fit the above qualifications and why you feel you are the best applicant for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applicants is 5:00 pm, September 20, 2018. Full job description is available upon request.
Preference will be given to candidates who self-declare as Indigenous. We would like to thank everyone expressing an interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.