700 5th Ave. SW
Swift Current SK S9H 4B
- My writing is who I am, it’s my way of being in the world. I draw my readers into folksy tales about ordinary people, then surprise them. Even I am surprised by my plucky characters and my cheeky stories. I am surprised by life.
Stories come to me, I do not go looking for them. When I am asked about my writing style, I am stumped. I say I have a hairstyle, I change it every few years, but I sense that’s not a proper answer.
Goodness, disappointment, happiness, and grace are of interest to me.
A few times in my life, I have been the recipient of grace. Some call this luck or good fortune or serendipity. Others use the word blessing. As a writer, short fiction is my first love. Novel whispers from behind the bushes, but I have promised to remain faithful to this modest form in full knowledge of Anne Enright’s warning: “A concentration on the short story form is taken as a sign of writerly purity though it still does not pay the bills.”
- Lecturing/Public Speaking » Conferences, Keynote Addresses, Special Events
- Teaching/Instruction » Professional Development Workshops, Writer-in-Residence
- Proudflesh. Thistledown Press, 2014
- A Bit of Bother. Spring magazine, 2013
- Lunch at the Empire State Building. Prairie Journal online, 2012
- Mary Had A Lamb. The Nashwaak Review, 2012
- Four Fridays. Mental Munching, Prairie Quills Writers' Group, 2012
- Betsy And The Bell. Tickled by the Quills, Prairie Quills Writers' Group, 2010
- Squeaky. Transition Magazine, Canadian Mental Health Association, SK Division, 2010
- Anastasia Zuck. The Society, St. Peter's College, 2010
- Big Mary's Love Life. Characters, Prairie Quills Writers' Group, 2008
- Henry "Pa" Weinmaster. The Globe and Mail, 2005
- SoundXchange, CBC Radio SK, 2012
- Mary discovers the answer to Yeats' question,
"Why should seek for love or study it?" Why not?
- Creativity for Professionals [Nurses, Teachers, Administrative Professionals, etc]
- Group Size:An interactive workshop offering practical approaches for a more creative approach with clients, customers, or co-workers and refreshing ideas for expressing your creative side in your workplace and home. Goals: renewed motivation & increased job satisfaction.
Audience Age Groups
- Secondary School (10-12)
- Middle School (6-9)
- Elementary School (K-5)