» The John V. Hicks Long Manuscript Awards
This award was created in honour of the distinguished Saskatchewan poet John V. Hicks.
The SWG's John V. Hicks Long Manuscript Award recognizes excellence in unpublished book-length manuscripts annually. The award rotates between the genres of poetry, fiction, and literary non-fiction. In 2019, the genre will be fiction.
Prizes are as follows: 1st place: $1,000; 2nd place: $650; 3rd place: $350. The winners will read from their work at the John V. Hicks Awards at SWG's annual Fall Conference (expenses paid).
Deadline: Submissions must be postmarked or received electronically by the last working day of June each year.
In 2019, the deadline is June 28, 2019 at midnight. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Complete an application form.
- Ensure your manuscript is in pdf format and follows the rules outlined below.
- Submit your application form and manuscript electronically by June 28, 2019 at midnight. We will accept a pdf file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail on a digital memory stick. We will not accept Word documents or paper copies.
- A $25 entry fee must accompany the entry. Make cheques and money orders payable to the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild, or pay online through PayPal.
Saskatchewan Writers' Guild
Regina, SK S4P 3R9
Courier Or Drop-Off Address
Saskatchewan Writers' Guild
Suite 100-1150 8th Avenue
Regina, SK S4R 1C9
PDF: John V. Hicks Award Application Form - Fillable
Word: John V. Hicks Award Application Form - Word
- Entrants must be Saskatchewan residents as of December 31, 2018.
- Only one entry per person is allowed in the manuscript awards.
- All entries must be original work. If the work is an adaptation of material not in the public domain, permission of the original creator must accompany the entry.
- Copyright for the entry remains with the author.
- No more than 50% of the manuscript may have been published in magazines and anthologies or by broadcast media. The work must not be accepted for publication at the time of submission, nor can it be published before the announcement of the awards in October (although it may be accepted for publication).
- The manuscript must be a full-length work of fiction and may be a collection for children or adults.
- The writer’s name and contact information should NOT appear on the manuscript. All entries will be numbered upon receipt so that they may be judged anonymously. If the writer’s name appears on any page of the manuscript, it will not be accepted for the competition. The name of the manuscript may appear on both the cover page and subsequent pages.
- The application form must be submitted separately from the manuscript (one pdf for the application and one pdf for the manuscript). There should be two documents in your submission - your manuscript and your completed application form.
- The following submission criteria must be followed:
- Entries must be in English
- Use plain text fonts (e.g. Times New Roman, Arial, Courier) in black
- 12 point font
- At least a one inch margin on all sides
- The title and page number must appear on each page
- The jury may decide not to award a particular prize if they believe none of the submissions merits it.
- The decisions of the jury will be final.
- Winners agree to permit the use of their name and title of their work in promotion by the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild.
- Winners agree to acknowledge the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild in any publication of the winning works.
For more information contact:
Yolanda Hansen, Program Manager
- Katherine Lawrence (Saskatoon)
- Shannon McConnell (Saskatoon)
- Joy M. Brown (Regina)
2017 (Literary Non-Fiction)
- Dauna Ditson (Regina)
- Lois Simmie (Saskatoon)
- Debby Adair (Regina)
- Leona Theis (Saskatoon)
- Sheri Benning (Regina)
- James Trettwer (Regina)
The John V. Hicks Long Manuscript Awards Recipients