Programs and Services
» SWG Writers Groups Grants
Note: the Guild does not provide grants to individual writers.
SWG Writers Groups Grants
The Guild provides an annual professional development grant to eligible Saskatchewan writers groups.
NEW: All forms are now fillable! Open, fill, and print or e-mail.
Fillable application forms for this program can be found here.
Follow-up Report Forms
Fillable follow-up forms for this program can be found here.
Fillable budget forms can be found here.
Fillable additional contact lists can be found here.
Annual Deadline For Application
Applications must be received in the SWG office on the last working day of June.
Each writers group may apply for up to $750 for the following fiscal year (01 August-31 July).
Criteria for Funding Eligibility
A local writing group is eligible for funding if it meets the following criteria:
- it has a minimum of five members
- two-thirds of the group are members of the SWG
- it meets a minimum of six times per year to discuss writing by members
- members meet in order to develop their craft
- it has provided a follow-up report (with all the requested documentation) for the previous grant
- new groups should have been formed no less than six months before applying for funding
If the group is approved for funding, cheques will be issued in September.
Responsibilities of Groups Who Receive Grants
Groups who receive grants have the following responsibilities:
- they will include mention of SWG sponsorship on all appropriate publicity issued by the group
- they will provide follow-up reports with the next year's grant application
- they will provide copies of receipts or cheques with unspent funds in excess of $50 as part of the follow-up report
Acceptable Uses of the Grant Money
This grant is intended to help the members of the writers groups develop their craft, so allowable expenses may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- fees to an author to offer a workshop
- member travel expenses to allow them to attend meetings and craft development sessions
- member participation fees in conferences, workshops, and other craft development sessions
- the grants may not be used for self-publication
- the grants may not be used to buy books for the group
- the grants may not be used for the costs of a website
- the grants may not be used to promote the group or individual members
- grants may not be used for social events, food, alcohol, or party favours
- writing groups receiving a grant through this program are not eligible for funding through the Readings and School Visits Program within the same grant period
- unspent grant money in excess of $50 must be returned to the SWG by 4:30 p.m. on the last working day of June along with the report