The following forms are provided for your convenience
Host Report Form
Sponsor Acknowledgment Signage
SWG Author Readings Program Brochure 2014-2015
Author Reading Report & Expense Claim Form
NB: You should be submitting your Expense Claim Form no more than thirty days after the reading has taken place. Also note that cheques can be issued only to persons, not businesses.
Inviting Writers to Your School, Library or Community
The SWG Author Readings Program makes it possible for people of all ages to meet and listen to their favourite Saskatchewan authors and storytellers. Schools, libraries,writing groups, community organizations and readers around the province have the opportunity to benefit from this program. SWG’s finest authors of every genre share the distinctiveness of their own stories when they visit.
Who Can Apply?
Each school, library, writing group, and community organization may apply for up to two SWG author readings per program year. Applications for readings are accepted throughout the year as of August 2014, but must be submitted at least four weeks prior to the event.
One reading is defined as an author visit between 45 and 60 minutes long, during which the author reads from her or his work to an audience of preferred size; discussion or Q&A may be included. A workshop does not equal a reading, so please do not apply for workshops through this program.
Tips on How to Select, Contact and Host an Author Reading
It is important that you contact the author before you send in your application to ensure that he/she will be available at the selected time and date. SWG is unable to proceed until the author is confirmed.
Please note only authors that are members of the SWG may participate in this program.
1. To assist you in selecting a writer for your event, the SWG's searchable online database is a comprehensive directory of Saskatchewan Writers' Guild members and their works and includes many helpful author websites.You may also want to look through the SaskBooks Catologue to find books and authors from Saskatchewan.
Hosts are encouraged to coordinate with surrounding communities to arrange mini-tours for authors.
2. Consider the following questions when selecting an author:
3. Contact the author to discuss:
4. Confirm the date, determine the author’s mileage to and from the venue and finalize arrangements with the author. Reading dates may only be altered if they occur in the same program year. (August 1 to next July 31 annually.)
Discuss any special arrangements or equipment the writer may need. For example audio/visual, special seating arrangements, the kind of space they require (gymnasiums are not usually the best setting unless there is a sound system in place).
5. Please ensure that you are familiar with the author’s work so that you can effectively introduce the author to your audience and/or prepare your audience.
6. The venue should include adequate lighting, a sound system if required, a table and/or podium, as well as a chair (optional) and water for the author.
Remember that all conditions are subject to the approval of the writer.
How Much Does It Cost?
The Host group pays a reading fee according to the size of community served, with those under 100 being invoiced for $56 plus GST and those over 100 for $110 plus GST.
The Host group is also responsible for the costs of the writer’s meals, accommodations (where needed), as well as additional author requirements, and all related reading expenses, including facility rental and publicity.
NB: The Host group’s fee pays only a portion of the total Author Readings Program cost for each author. The SWG subsidizes the program, paying each writer directly a fee of $175 plus mileage costs. (The SWG will not cover mileage for writers living out of province.)Sponsor Acknowledgments
Please acknowledge the sponsorship of the SWG and our funders, SaskCulture, Saskatchewan Lotteries and the Saskatchewan Arts Board, during the introduction of your author. A sign may also be displayed during the reading. Please find templates for posters and signage on the top of this page.
Submit your application to:
SWG Author Readings Program
c/o Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild
Regina, SK S4P 3R9
by fax to 306.565.8554 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or use the online Application Form
Contact the Program Assistant at email@example.com or at 306.791.7746 for any further information