The following forms are provided for your convenience
Inviting Writers to Your School, Library or Community
The SWG Author Readings Program makes it possible for people of all ages to meet and listen to their favourite Saskatchewan authors and storytellers. Schools, libraries,writing groups, community organizations and readers around the province have the opportunity to benefit from this program. SWG’s finest authors of every genre share the distinctiveness of their own stories when they visit.
Who Can Apply?
Each school, library, writing group, and community organization may apply for up to two SWG author readings per program year. Applications for readings are accepted throughout the year as of August 2012, but must be submitted four weeks prior to the event. The author reads from his or her work for 45 to 60 minutes, which may include discussions or Q&A.
Tips on How to Select, Contact and Host an Author Reading
It is important that you contact the author before you send in your application to ensure that he/she will be available at the selected time and date. SWG is unable to proceed until the author is confirmed.
Please note only authors that are members of the SWG may participate in this program.
1. To assist you in selecting a writer for your event, the SWG's searchable online database is a comprehensive directory of Saskatchewan Writers' Guild members and their works and includes many helpful author websites.
You may also want to look through The Spirit of Saskatchewan: A Celebration of Books. This catalogue is a joint project of the Saskatchewan Book Awards, the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild, the Saskatchewan Publishers Group, the Saskatchewan Library Association, and Saskatchewan Learning. It is a resource for Teachers, Teacher-Librarians, & Librarians.
More resources are available here.
Hosts are encouraged to coordinate with surrounding communities to arrange mini-tours for authors.
2. Consider the following questions when selecting an author:
3. Contact the author to discuss:
4. Confirm the date, determine the author’s mileage to and from the venue and finalize arrangements with the author. Reading dates may only be altered if they occur in the same program year. (August 1 to next July 31st annually.)
Discuss any special arrangements or equipment the writer may need. For example audio/visual, special seating arrangements, the kind of space they require (gymnasiums are not usually the best setting unless there is a sound system in place).
5. Please ensure that you are familiar with the author’s work so that you can effectively introduce the author to your audience and/or prepare your audience.
6. The venue should include adequate lighting, a sound system if required, a table and/or podium, as well as a chair (optional) and water for the author.
Remember that all conditions are subject to the approval of the writer.
How Much Does It Cost?
The host group pays a reading fee according to the size of community served, with those under 100 being invoiced for $56 and those over 100 for $110.
The host group is also responsible for the costs of the writer’s meals, accommodations (where needed), and all related reading expenses, including facility rental and publicity.
NB: The host group’s fee pays only a portion of the total Author Readings Program cost for each author. The SWG subsidizes the program, paying each writer directly a fee of $175 plus mileage costs. (The SWG will not cover mileage for writers living out of province.)Sponsor Acknowledgments
Please acknowledge the sponsorship of the SWG and our funders, the Saskatchewan Arts Board, SaskCulture and Saskatchewan Lotteries, during the introduction of your author. A sign may also be displayed during the reading. Please find templates for posters and signage at the bottom of this page.
Submit your application to:
SWG Author Readings Program
c/o Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild
Regina, SK S4P 3R9
by fax to 306-565-8554 or email to email@example.com
Contact the Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (306) 791-7746 for any further information.