Call for Nominations: The 2018 Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg Award for Literary Excellence
This award was established by Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg to recognize Saskatchewan writers who have written a substantial body of literary work.
The award winner must have written a substantial body of literary work and have made a significant impact on writing in Saskatchewan.
1. Writers must be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents whose principal place of residence has been Saskatchewan for the last 5 full years or who have spent at least 10 years of their writing careers in Saskatchewan.
2. Writers who have written books in the following genres will be considered:
3. Books may have been published anywhere in the world.
4. The prize will be a cash award of $10,000, and a commemorative print of a painting by Saskatchewan artist Dorothy Knowles.
5. There shall only be one award given each year, although an award will not necessarily be given each year.
6. The award shall not be made posthumously unless the writer was alive at the time of selection.
Nominations will be accepted from the general public, publishers, and writing organizations. There is no limit to the number of nominations an organization can submit. All nominations and their supporting material are considered confidential.
Nominations consist of a completed Nomination Form and a maximum of 10 pages of support material outlining the nominee’s accomplishments, as follows:
IMPORTANT: Please provide one original and three copies of the complete nomination package (form and supporting materials).
Please do not send books.
Please do not send letters of support. They are not reviewed by the jury.
Please do not staple your nomination package. Paper clips are acceptable.
We ask that nominators please DO NOT inform the nominee of his or her nomination.
Deadline for nominations is June 30 at 4:30 pm.
Nominations for this award must be received by 4:30 pm June 30 annually. (If this date falls on a weekend or holiday, the next business day is accepted.) Nominations received after that date will automatically be considered for the following year.
If the nominee is not selected in a given year, the nomination will be kept on file for consideration for future awards for 3 years.
Nominations can be sent by mail to: Saskatchewan Writers' Guild, PO Box 3986, Regina, SK or dropped off to the Guild office at Suite 100 - 1150 8th Ave, Regina.
The jury shall consist of three prominent Canadian literary figures, one of whom may be from Saskatchewan. The others must be from out-of-province. The jury will remain anonymous and its selection of a recipient will be final.
The presentation will be made annually in Saskatoon in the fall by the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild. Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg will present the award.
For more information, please see the Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg Award for Literary Excellence web page or contact the Program Manager at (306) 791-7743 or email@example.com.