SWG Seeks Full-Time Program Assistant
The Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild (SWG) is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented and dynamic individual with strong interpersonal, communication and multi-tasking skills to fill the full-time position of Program Assistant in the Regina office. This position supports the work of a particularly active provincial non-profit arts organization, which offers numerous programs and services for writers throughout the province.
The Program Assistant is responsible for managing select programs and assisting the Program Manager and other program staff in the implementation, management, delivery and evaluation of program activity in accordance with SWG policies and practices. The salary range is $31,000- $40,000 per annum, plus great benefits, and the position starts immediately.
Please submit applications online only to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and brief résumé outlining your matching qualifications. Please use the subject line: SWG Program Assistant Application. Only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline for applications is 12:00 pm (noon) April 15, 2014.
Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild
Full Job Description
The Program Assistant reports directly to the Executive Director and the Program Manager, as well as working with other programmers and staff. The Executive Director reviews his/her performance.
Brief Summary of Responsibilities
The Program Assistant (Regina) is responsible for managing select programs and assisting the Program Manager and other program staff in the implementation, management, delivery and evaluation of program activity in accordance with SWG policies and practices.
- Event management of specific programs, including but not limited to
- Event coordination assistance for other programmers and events, including but not limited to
- preparing contracts/MOU’s for presenters, instructors, and others hired for specific programming
- onsite coordination as needed
- gather materials for creation and dissemination of promotional materials
- Coordinates all programming web materials, coordinates with Freelance editor for program media (photographs, ads)
- maintain database of presenters - bios
- research contacts, presenters, grants, facilities, etc.
- arrange for photographer/videographer at events
- create template thank you letters and distribute to all relevant program contacts, sponsors, etc.
- maintain guest lists for programs
- arrange distribution of invites for special events
• Experience in program design, delivery and evaluation
• Experience in networking and working with diverse stakeholders
• Ability to plan, priorize, budget and meet deadlines
• Multi-tasking abilities
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Must demonstrate responsive service to the changing needs of stakeholder groups, members, funders and other staff
• Ability to establish priorities and to work independently with little supervision
• Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with internal and external partners
• Ability to adapt to changing environments with tact and good judgement
• Must make clear and timely decisions in the best interests of the Guild
• Excellent interpersonal, time management, problem solving and organizational skills
• Available to work flexible hours
• Experience in working with volunteers
• Valid driver’s licence and access to a vehicle
• Knowledge of current challenges and opportunities relating to the writing community
• Familiarity with the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild
• Familiarity with non-profit organizations
* Programming Tasks
Awards (City of Regina, Hicks)
Processes registrations, helps create invite lists (Kloppenburg), prints and readies to send invites, photocopies submissions, helps coordinate event planning for the award (City of Regina, Hicks), media releases, web page and social media, media for Freelance and Ebriefs, logging any volunteers, attendance numbers
Coordinates reading media, web page, social media, event help, media releases, web page and social media, media for Freelance and Ebriefs, sometimes present to help onsite for the reading by taking photos (or find someone to take photos), etc., prepare contracts as needed, logging participant numbers
Takes registration, coordinates media, web page, social media, event help, media releases, web page and social media, media for Freelance and Ebriefs, prepare contracts as needed
Talking Fresh Festival
Coordinates with Program Manager and organizes promotion, poster and program design, evaluations, media releases, web page and social media, provides information to Freelance and Ebriefs (calls for volunteers, program info, photos taken), onsite support during the event, coordinate materials for event (book table, hand outs, etc.), arranges for photos, records participation/volunteer numbers
Words in the Park
Organizes and coordinates by putting out the call for writers, registering writers, correspondence with Regina Downtown and writers, helps with promotion, poster design, evaluations, media releases, web page and social media, Freelance and Ebriefs media (calls for volunteers, program info), arranges for photos. Runs the program each Wednesday noon hour during June to August.
Takes registrations (before and during), helps organize/coordinate print material (programs), posters, evaluations, media releases, web page and social media, Freelance and Ebriefs media (organizes calls for volunteers, program info for our media), registers volunteers in conjunction with Program Manager
File and register applications and log into financial log (insure applicants have paid), helps with promotion, maintains and coordinates web page and helps with social media, provides info for Freelance and Ebriefs (calls, program info)