This item has expired!
GRANTS TO SK WRITERS GROUPS: Call for Applications
This is a professional development grant that is intended to help the members of writers groups develop their craft.
Applications must be postmarked by Monday June 30, 2014. Please note that applications and follow up reports must be submitted by that date. Email applications/reports will be accepted.
Each writers group may apply for up to $500 for this upcoming fiscal year (August 01, 2014-July 31, 2015).
If the group is approved for funding, cheques will be issued in September 2014.
Criteria for Funding Eligibility
A local writing group is eligible for funding if it meets the following criteria:
• a minimum of five members
• two-thirds of the group are members of the SWG
• it meets a minimum of six times per year to discuss writing by members
• members meet in order to develop their craft
• provided a follow-up report (with all the requested documentation) for the previous grant
Responsibilities of Groups Who Receive Grants
Groups who receive grants have the following responsibilities:
• include mention of SWG sponsorship on all appropriate publicity issued by the group
• provide follow-up reports with the next year’s grant application
• provide copies of receipts or cheques as part of the follow-up report
Acceptable Uses of the Grant
Allowable expenses may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• fees to an author to offer a workshop
• member travel expenses to allow them to attend meetings and craft development sessions
• member participation fees in conferences, workshops, and other craft development sessions
• critique manuscripts
• attend conferences
• attend workshops
• hold retreats
• attend author readings
• give readings locally/arrange Open Mics—ex. cost of venue
• writing exercises
The grants may not be used:
• for self-publication
• to buy books for the group
• for the costs of a website
• to promote the group or individual members
• for social events, food, alcohol, or party favours
NB: writing groups receiving a grant through this program are not eligible for funding through the Readings and School Visits Program within the same grant period
Any unspent grant money must be returned to SWG by the following June 30, unless the unspent amount is less than $50.00.
For more information and application form please visit www.skwriter.com/programs-and services/swg-writers-groups-grants or contact Tracy Hamon at (306)791-7743.