Call for Submissions: The John V. Hicks Long Manuscript Awards
The John V. Hicks Manuscript Awards program of the SWG recognizes three unpublished book-length manuscripts annually. The award rotates between the genres of poetry, fiction and non-fiction.
In 2014 the SWG will honour three unpublished, full-length manuscripts of literary non-fiction. Prizes will be as follows: 1st place: $1,000; 2nd place: $650; 3rd place: $350. The winners will read from their work at the SWG's annual Fall Conference in Regina (expenses paid).
Deadline: Submissions must be postmarked by Monday, June 30, 2014. If you are sending material close to this date, please consider Xpress Post, Priority Post, courier, or special delivery. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Entries must be submitted by or postmarked on Monday, June 30, 2014.
If mailing or dropping off your entry, please submit 3 hard copies of your manuscript. Please keep a copy of your manuscript, as manuscripts will not be returned.
- A $25 entry fee must accompany the entry. Make cheques and money orders payable to the Saskatchewan Writers Guild.
- Due to the length of the manuscripts we will not accept email, fax or digital memory stick submissions.
- Entrants must be Saskatchewan residents as of December 31, 2013.
- Only one entry per person is allowed in the manuscript awards.
- All entries must be original work. If the work is an adaptation of material not in the public domain, permission of the original creator must accompany the entry.
- Copyright for the entry remains with the author.
- No more than 50% of the manuscript may have been published in magazines and anthologies or by broadcast media.
- The manuscript must be for a full-length work: a minimum of 35,000 words in length..
- The writer’s name and contact information should appear in the cover letter only.
All entries will be numbered upon receipt so that they may be judged anonymously.
If the writer’s name appears on any page of the manuscript, it will not be accepted for the competition. The name of the manuscript may appear on both the cover page and subsequent pages.
- There is no application form; instead, please send the entry plus a cover letter that includes the following:
The following submission criteria must be followed or the entries will not be accepted:
- your name and all contact information (including address, home and work numbers, and E-mail address)
- the name of your work
- confirmation of the following:
- that you were a resident of Saskatchewan as of December 31, 2013
- that the work is original to you
- that the work will not have been published before the announcement of the awards in October (although it may have been accepted for publication)
- that no more than 50% of the manuscript will have been published or broadcast before the announcement of the awards in November
- entries must be in English
- use plain text fonts (e.g. Times New Roman, Arial, Courier) and not in display fonts such as Algerian
- 12 point font
- use black ink on 8 ½ x 11-inch white copy bond paper
- entries must be single-sided
- at least a one inch margin on all sides
- the title and page number must appear on each page
- text must be double-spaced
- the paper must be clean (no smudges, drawings, hand-written corrections, or stamped words)
to fasten submissions, use paper clips (including fold-back clips)—avoid staples or any other fastener which goes through the paper (including binders, presentation covers, or coil binding)
- avoid hole punched paper
- good-quality photocopies are acceptable
10. The jury may decide not to award a particular prize if they believe no submission merits it.
11. The decisions of the jury will be final.
12. Winners agree to permit the use of their name and title of their work in promotion by the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild.
13. Winners agree to acknowledge the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild in any publication or production program of the winning scripts.
Saskatchewan Writers' Guild
Regina SK S4P 3R9
Courier Or Drop-Off Address
Saskatchewan Writers' Guild
100-1150 8th Avenue
Regina SK S4R 1C9
For more information: Contact Tracy Hamon, Program Manager at (306) 791-7743 or email@example.com.