|Marie Powell Mendenhall|
- Marie Powell (MFA, MA, BAJC, BFA) is an experienced freelance journalist, with a focus on feature writing, editing, and illustrative photo-journalism.
Ms Powell (Mendenhall)'s work appears in national and international print magazines, as well as broadcast and online markets. Her award-winning poetry and fiction have been published in literary magazines and anthologies. In 2007, Scholastic published her book Dragonflies are Amazing. As well, she provides editing and photography services, and documentary television research services. More information and writing samples are available on her website at www.mepowell.com or by request.
- Business Writing » Annual Reports, Grant Applications and Reports, Media Releases, Public Service Announcements
- Editing » Copyediting, Proofreading, Substantive Editing
- Electronic Media » Zines
- Fiction » Children's Literature—Picture Books, General
- Non-Fiction » Essays, Journalism, Travel
- Poetry » General
- Defining Moments in History (contributor). Cassell Illustrated, 2008
- Dragonflies are Amazing. Scholastic Canada, 2007
| » Literary Journal|
» Newspaper, Magazine, & Trade Journal
- Close to Quitting Time print anthology
- Pandora's Collective
- Transition Magazine
- WindFire print anthology
- Please see website (www.mepowell.com) for details
- Breaking In: Taking Stock of the Marketplace
- Group Size:Geared for non-fiction writers, this workshop will examine the current print and online marketplace. It will include how to choose a market for your work, how to approach that market, and how to ensure success in the changing marketplace. The workshop will also include a hands-on component to help participants find markets for their work.
- Channeling Your Creativity
- Group Size:This workshop will provide an opportunity to generate writing in multiple genres: poetry, fiction, and short creative non-fiction. Using a combination of presentation, discussion, and hands-on writing activities, we will examine the various print and online resources that can inspire writing and stimulate the participant's writing life.
- Inspiring the Imagination: Writing Exercises
- Group Size:This workshop involves presenting and utilizing a number of writing exercises to generate ideas in poetry or fiction. Short instruction, writing exercises, and round-table sharing with short, controlled group critiques work best. The format can be designed to suit group needs. The workshop can last from one hour to a full day program, depending on needs. As well, I would be happy to host a public reading of my work and participant work if circumstances allow.
- Script Development Workshops
- Group Size:As an experienced dramaturg, I lead participants in developing their own stories into scripts. Sessions involve warm-ups and improvisational techniques to guide in generating and scripting scenes. I present information and handouts on developing characters, settings, and theatre techniques. Short instruction, writing exercises, and round-table sharing with short, controlled group critiques work best. As well, I would be happy to host a public reading of participant work if desired.
Audience Age Groups
- Secondary School (10-12)
- Middle School (6-9)
- Elementary School (K-5)