|Garry Thomas Morse|
- Garry Thomas Morse is a poet and novelist.
Morse’s books of poetry include sonic riffs on Rainer Maria Rilke’s sonnets in Transversals for Orpheus, a tip of the foot to David McFadden’s poetic prose and the Proustian sentence in Streams, a homage to San Francisco Renaissance poet Jack Spicer in After Jack, and an exploration of his mother’s First Nations ancestry in Discovery Passages, finalist for the Governor General’s Award for Poetry and the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize. Discovery Passages was also voted One of the Top Ten Poetry Collections of 2011 by The Globe and Mail and One of the Best Ten Aboriginal Books from the past decade by CBC’s 8th Fire.
Morse’s books of “experimental fiction” include a collection of loosely interconnected pub stories called Death in Vancouver, and the three books in his genrebusting series The Chaos! Quincunx, including 2013 ReLit Award finalist Minor Episodes / Major Ruckus, Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour, and the forthcoming Minor Expectations (Fall 2014).
A recent review in Rain Taxi had this to say about Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour:
“Surreal, complex, and hilarious … Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour is best savored slowly … Reading it is like reading poetry, a synaesthetic experience where technology and terrorism are as intimate and tangible as the smell of food or the texture of mud. Infused with Morse’s irrepressible humor, the books [in The Chaos! Quincunx] satisfy all the senses.”
Often sought out for his esoteric literary knowledge, skewed classical leanings, and catalytic textuality, Morse is currently completing a survey of thirty six poetry books published in Canada for the North American online journal Jacket2, while eternally puttering away at The Unnormable, his overview of delightfully oddball international literature, often in translation.
Having survived the winter, Morse is happily looking forward to celebrating his first year of dwelling in Queen City, and both of his next two prospective books, one of poetry called Prairie Harbour, and one a novel, radiate outward from his new home in Regina.
- Fiction » Literary, Speculative—Fantasy, Speculative—Science Fiction
- Poetry » Literary
- Advertising » Advertising/Marketing Material, Copy/Scripts
- Business/Corporate/Government Writing » Brochures, Newsletters
- Editing » Manuscript Critiquing (Not Editing), Rewriting, Stylistic Editing, Substantive/Structural Editing, Web-based/Online Editing
- Electronic/Online Media » Web Site Writing
- Journalism » Reviews
- Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour. Talonbooks, 2013
- Minor Episodes / Major Ruckus. Talonbooks, 2012
- Discovery Passages. Talonbooks, 2011
- After Jack. Talonbooks, 2010
- Death in Vancouver. Talonbooks, 2009
- Streams. LINEBooks, 2007
- Transversals for Orpheus & the untitled 1-13. LINEBooks, 2006
Audience Age Groups