- Carey Rigby-Wilcox is a committed literacy learner, activist, volunteer, business owner, illustrator, and an award winning author who is deeply dedicated to promoting literacy at the local, provincial, and national levels. Carey struggled with reading and writing throughout her school years. After receiving her high school diploma; with a very low literacy level, Carey came to a crossroads. She knew she needed to improve her literacy level, not only for herself, but also for her unborn child. The only way she would overcome this issue was to receive help from a literacy tutor. Every Sunday for over 25 years, Carey and her tutor have met to practice reading together, and continue to this very day.
Once a shy, insecure person with low literacy, Carey now travels across Canada sharing importance of her own personal power, and along with her successes to help foster a love for lifelong learning in others. Her self-published autobiographical children’s book “My Mummy Couldn't Read” was short-listed for the 2008 Saskatchewan Book Awards Book of the Year. “My Dad Couldn’t Read” received a Bronze Medal from the 2014 Moonbeam Children’s Award in the Reading/Literacy category. Her newest book in 2016 “Libraries and Books and Words…Oh My!” Shows how she has conquered her fears and discovered that there is no place like the library!
Carey Rigby-Wilcox is committed to spreading the importance of literacy, lifelong learning and that dreams really do come true!
- Fiction » Children's Literature—Picture Books, Children's Writing—Young Adult, Literary
- Non-Fiction » Autobiography
- Libraries and Books and Words…Oh My!. See a Book Take a Look, 2016
- My Dad Couldn't Read. See a Book Take a Look, 2014
- Relentless Journeys; Literacy Stories Shared by Three Women in Canada. See a Book Take a Look, 2011
- A Song to Sing: Written by Shannon Wright and illustrated by Carey Rigby-Wilcox. See a Book Take a Look, 2011
- My Mummy Couldnt Read. See a Book Take a Look, 2007
- Ten Little Ladybugs in my Jar. See a Book Take a Look, 2006
- I believe in Fairies: Written by Kathy Hirst and illustrated by Carey Rigby-Wilcox. See a Book Take a Look, 2006
- A Wish for You: Written by Katrina Ham and illustrated by Carey Rigby-Wilcox. See a Book Take a Look, 2006
Audience Age Groups
- Secondary School (10-12)
- Middle School (6-9)
- Elementary School (K-5)