- Connie McGrath, B.A., B.Ed., is a mother, grandmother, and teacher, who has been reading children's picture books for a long time. She knows firsthand that reading to children creates a special bond. She has taught pre-Kindergarten to grade 12, including gifted, remedial, and English as an Alternative Language. Saskatoon is home.
She wrote In Search of a Smile that Stays with her son, John, who also loves to read and write. It is a fun children's picture book that uses rhyme, repetition, and imagination to explore what makes a child smile and be happy. It asks, What makes you smile? Colorful illustrations complement the text.
Her second book,Thank You for Bringing Me is about a dad who thinks he is too busy to take his daughter sledding, skiing and skating but he is in for a pleasant surprise!
She does a one-hour PowerPoint presentation which:
- emphasizes the value of reading, having ideas, and expressing oneself well
- discusses the book-publishing process
- presents In Search of a Smile that Stays and Thank You for Bringing Me
- explores vocabulary and theme
- connects the printed word with illustrations
- discovers what makes each child smile and starts an art project
See smileandhavefunbooks.ca for curriculum connections.
The art project is a quick way to get to know each child. The children in turn have lots of fun and learn about each other. Finished artwork can be bulletin-board displayed, or collected into a booklet.
See smileandhavefunbooks.ca for more info. Order from any bookstore using ISBN 9781770673328 and ISBN 9781460227824. Available from friesenpress.com, McNally Robinson Saskatoon, and amazon.ca
- Fiction » Children's Literature—Picture Books
Audience Age Groups
- Middle School (6-9)
- Elementary School (K-5)