Fort Qu'Appelle SK S0G 1S0
- Donna Caruso (author of Journey Without A Map, Growing Up Italian, a memoir) loves her audiences. She engages them with humour, food,and stories,like any good Italian. She works in every medium-- radio, stage, film, print, music (even opera)-- whatever is needed to tell the story. The story is the most important thing.
Donna writes mainly for adults, but she has written musical comedies for children, and has entertained children in schools and libraries, and also has done workshops and classes with children. And, since becoming a grandmother, has started writing children's books as well.
Donna has worked full time in the arts since 1983, and has won many awards, both national and international, for her writing and her films. Her film company, Incandescent Films Inc., was established in 1992, and has produced award-winning films such as Chasing The Cure, Twixt Heaven and Earth, Doll Hospital, Rapture Of The Deep, and the TV series Life Without Borders.
Donna is very popular as a performer and a workshop mentor as well. Her one-woman stage plays include The Clothesline and Grace Before Meals. Her workshops include The Clotheslines of Life, Writing and Cooking, and Comedy 101.
Donna Caruso loves taking on long-term work where she acts as artist-in-residence, doing arts projects for communities. She loves finding projects that are specific to the community, whether that be doing writing, acting in plays, performing, music, or filmmaking with adults, children, or both. Using the arts to enhance community projects brings out the personality and heart of a community, bringing people closer together, and Donna loves helping people find that connection.
Donna is from Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, where she raised her two sons, Jason and Elliot. Jason and Elliot have grown up and departed for warmer climes where they met and married warm-weather women. Alas.
Donna's grandchidren are Erica, Ada Grace, and Niccolo, who, deep in their hearts, long for the cold and open beauty of Saskatchewan.
Oh, and by the way,everyone wants to know, yes, Enrico Caruso is her uncle.
- Fiction » Children's Literature—Picture Books, General
- Music-Related » Librettos
- Non-Fiction » Autobiography, History—Family, Memoir
- Scriptwriting » Film, Radio, Stage
- Journey Without A Map, Growing Up Italian, a Memoir. Thistledown Press, 2008
- The Clothesline. Where Is Here?, CBC radio play anthology, 2005
- Till Death Do Us Part. Coteau Books, 2000th Cracked Wheat, 2000
- Under Her Skin. Thistledown Press, 1999
- ANGELUS, or BLESSED ARE THE UNINITIATED FOR THEY SHALL GO FISHING. Wilfred Laurier University Press, Voices and Echoes Anthology, 1997
- 200% Cracked Wheat humour anthology, HIS BOWELS. Coteau Books, 1992
- Zini and Zaba: Together Again. Coteau Books, Studio One radio plays anthology, 1991
- Palumello. Coteau Books, Out of Place anthology, 1991
- Palumello. Rubicon Publishers, Home and Homeland anthology, 1991
- The Fig Tree. Hag Papers, chapbook,, 1991
- Palumello. McGraw Hill Publishers, Multiculturalism anthology, 1991
Productions of Plays
- The Clothesline, CBC Radio, National, 2005
- The Clothesline, Stage Play, Saskatchewan, Toronto, Vancouver, 2002
- Grace Before Meals, Stage Play, Saskatchewan, Vancouver, 1999
- The Fig Tree, CBC Radio, National, 1995
- A Celebration of the Mess, Stage Play, Saskatchewan, 1994
- The Amateur Hour, CBC Radio, National, 1992
- Zini and Zaba: Together Again, CBC Radio, Saskatchewan, 1988
- 9 Musical Comedies for Children, Caruso's Travelling Musical Theatre, Saskatchewan, 1988
- THE CLOTHESLINE, radio play, CBC Radio, 2004-2005
- LIFE WITHOUT BORDERS, SCN, 2002-2008
- Various Short Stories and Monologues,, CBC Radio, 2001-2009
- RAPTURE OF THE DEEP, BRAVO TV, VISION TV, SCN, KNOWLEDGE NETWORK, 1999-2004
- DOLL HOSPITAL, VISION, SCN, KNOWLEDGE NETWORK, 1998-2003
- THE FIG TREE, radio play, CBC Radio, 1995
- CHASING THE CURE, CBC TV, VISION TV, SCN, KNOWLEDGE NETWORK, 1993-2004
- THE AMATEUR HOUR,radio play, CBC Radio, 1992
- CULTURAL CONNECTION, radio play, CBC Radio, 1992
- LULLABY, short Story, CBC Radio, 1990-1994
- LUNCH WITH THREE NUNS, short Story, CBC Radio, 1989
- ZINI AND ZABA, TOGETHER AGAIN,, radio play, CBC Radio, 1988
- SHARING THE STABLE, short Story, CBC Radio, 1988
- RAMBLIN' ROSE, short Story, CBC Radio, 1988
- COMEDY 101
- COOKING AND WRITING
- DISCERNMENT IN SILENCE
- HOW TO BE AN ANCESTOR
- THE CLOTHESLINES OF LIFE