110, 11716 - 100 avenue
Edmonton AB T5K 2G3
- Born and raised in Edmonton, Canada, Myrna Kostash is a fulltime writer, author of the classic All of Baba’s Children , the award-winning No Kidding: Inside the World of Teenage Girls and Bloodlines: A Journey Into Eastern Europe . Her most recent books are Reading the River: A Traveller’s Companion to the North Saskatchewan River , The Frog Lake Reader and Prodigal Daughter: A Journey to Byzantium . A stage play, The Gallows Is Also a Tree was given a staged reading at Edmonton’s Festival of Ideas, Fall 2010.
Besides writing for diverse magazines, Kostash has written radio drama and documentary, television documentary, and theatre cabaret. Her essays, articles, and creative nonfiction have been widely anthologized. She has been a frequent lecturer and instructor of creative writing as well as writer-in-residence in Canada and the US.
A persistent traveller, Kostash has lectured across Canada and abroad in Kyiv, Warsaw, Cracow, Belgrade, Nis, Skopje, Sofia, Athens, Szeged, and Baia Mare.
Kostash has served as Chair of The Writers’ Union of Canada, on the Board of Governors of the Canadian Conference of the Arts, and the Board of the Parkland Institute at the University of Alberta. She is the founder and current vice-president of the Creative Nonfiction Collective.
Myrna Kostash makes her home in Edmonton.
- Non-Fiction » Essays, General Non-Fiction
- Lecturing/Public Speaking » Conferences, Keynote Addresses, Special Events
- Teaching/Instruction » Professional Development Workshops, Writer-in-Residence
- Prodigal Daughter: A Journey to Byzantium. U of Alberta Press, 2010
- Frog Lake Reader. NeWest Press, 2009
- Reading the River: A Companion to the North Saskatchewan River. Coteau Books, 2005
- The Doomed Bridegroom: A Memoir. NeWest Press, 1998
- All of Baba's Children. NeWest Press, 1992
- Long Way From Home: The 60s Generation in Canada. James Lorimer & Co., 1980
- Creative Nonfiction
- Group Size:I have been offering creative nonfiction workshops for many years, both beginners and advance levels. I am a co-founder of the Creative Nonfiction Collective.
Audience Age Groups
- Secondary School (10-12)