This competition is temporarily suspended.
The SWG Short Manuscript Awards competition recognizes literary excellence in works of creative writing by Saskatchewan authors.
Entries are judged by out-of-province judges who will be named when the winners of the awards are announced at the fall conference each year. As is the practice in these competitions we do not publicize the numbers of entries in any category. As well the out-of-province judges are not revealed until after the awards are announced.
Copyright for all works remains with the author. No submissions will be published; instead, winners receive a cash prize.
1. Entrants must be Saskatchewan residents as of 31 December 2010.
2. Entrants must be 19 years of age or older.
3. This competition is open to both SWG members and non-members.
4. Entrants may not have published a book (or have had a book manuscript accepted for publication) in the category or categories in which they are entering.
5. Entrants may submit one piece for each category for which they are eligible.
6. There is no entry fee for members of the SWG; non-members will pay a fee of $10 per entry (regardless of its length). Your fee must accompany your entry. Make cheques and money orders payable to the Saskatchewan Writers Guild.
7. The word limits for the categories are as follows:
8. Do not send illustrations—they will be discarded.
9. Entries must be original, unpublished material, not entered simultaneously in any other competition nor submitted for publication or broadcast.
10. Entries must be submitted by the author of the piece.
11. Manuscripts will not be returned, so keep a copy of your entry.
12. There is no application form; instead, the entry must be accompanied by a cover letter that includes the following:
13. If the writer’s name appears on any page of an entry, it will not be accepted for the competition. All entries will be numbered upon receipt so that they may be judged anonymously. The name of the work may appear on both the cover page and subsequent pages.
14. These guidelines must be followed or submissions will be rejected:
15. Award amounts in each category will be as follows:
16. Judges may decide not to award a particular prize if they believe no submission merits it.
17. Judges' decisions are final.
18. Submissions must be postmarked by Thursday, June 30, 2011. If you are sending material close to this date, please consider Xpress Post, Priority Post, courier, or special delivery. If you are sending it via courier, make sure you send it to the courier address below, NOT the box number. Late submissions will not be accepted.
For more information, contact the Program Officer at 791-7743 (phone); 565-8554 (fax); or firstname.lastname@example.org
Saskatchewan Writers' Guild
Regina SK S4P 3R9
Courier Or Drop-Off Address
Saskatchewan Writers' Guild
#100, 1150 - 8th Avenue
Regina SK S4R 1C9