Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg
The Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg Award for Literary Excellence recognizes Saskatchewan writers who have written a substantial body of literary work. The prize consists of an award of $10,000 donated by Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg and a framed print of a work of art by Saskatchewan artist Dorothy Knowles. The presentation will be made annually in Saskatoon in the fall hosted by the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild. Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg will present the award.
Submissions for this award must be in the SWG office by 4:30 pm on June 30, 2015
This prestigious award was established in May 2010 by Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg, lawyers by profession, but philanthropists at heart. The three Honorary Patrons of the Award are the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan, the Mayor of the City of Saskatoon, and the President of the University of Saskatchewan.
1. Writers must be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents whose principal place of residence has been Saskatchewan for the last 5 full years or who have spent at least 10 years of their writing careers in Saskatchewan.
2. Writers who have written books in the following genres will be considered:
3. Books may have been published anywhere in the world.
4. Deadline for submissions is on June 30, 2015 at 4:30 pm CST.
5. The prize will be a cash award of $10,000, and a commemorative print of a painting by Saskatchewan artist Dorothy Knowles.
6. There shall only be one award given each year, although an award will not necessarily be given each year.
7. The award shall not be made posthumously unless the writer was alive at the time of selection.
Nominations will be accepted from the general public, publishers, and writing organizations. Nominations consist of a completed Nomination Form located above and a maximum of 10 pages of supporting material. There is no limit to the number of nominations an organization can submit. All nominations and their supporting material are considered confidential.
Note 1: If the nominee is not selected for an award in a given year, the nomination will be kept on file for consideration for future awards for 3 years.
Note 2: The nominators will be asked to keep the nomination confidential.
The jury shall consist of three prominent Canadian literary figures, one of whom may be from Saskatchewan. The others must be from out-of-province. The jury will remain anonymous and its selection of a recipient will be final.
The presentation will be made annually in Saskatoon in the fall by the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild. Cheryl and Henry Kloppenburg will present the award.
Bob Calder, Past SWG Board President, Henry Kloppenburg, Cheryl Kloppenburg and Jerry Haigh, SWG Board President with the framed artwork by Saskatchewan artist Dorothy Knowles.
2014 -Sandra Birdsell
2013 - Dianne Warren
2012 - Sharon Butala
2011 - Lorna Crozier
2010 - Guy Vanderhaeghe