About the SWG
» 2018 Hyland Volunteer Award Winner« Back
Announcing the 2018 Hyland Volunteer Award
The Hyland Volunteer Award was established to recognize the many achievements of Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild members through their volunteer support of the literary community. This award, previously named the SWG Volunteer Leadership Award, was renamed in honour of Gary Hyland in 2007. Gary was a dedicated SWG member and volunteer, who received the Saskatchewan Volunteer Medal and was made a Member of the Order of Canada in recognition of his many community contributions.
Each year, we recognize a Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild member for their contributions to the writing community on a local, provincial or national level. They must have been a volunteer in the writing community for at least 5 years, and have provided outstanding service to the growth and development of the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild and the writing community.
This year, the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild is very pleased to present the Hyland Volunteer Award to Bernadette Wagner. The awards presentation took place at the SWG 2018 Conference in Saskatoon at the ParkTown Hotel.
Bernadette has been an active member of the SWG since 1994 and has been involved in numerous volunteer activities with the Saskatchewan writing community during that time:
- Member of Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild Board of Directors from 1998-1999
- Member of the Board of Directors for Common Weal Community Arts Inc. from 2005-2006
- Chair, Co-Chair and Literary Co-ordinator of the Cathedral Village Arts Festival from 2011-2015
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Sage Hill Writing Experience
- Advisory Committee Member for Grain Magazine from 2005-2007
- Member of the SWG Technology Committee and Conference Committee
- Member of the national Creative Nonfiction Collective Conference Committee
She is a well-known Saskatchewan writer of poetry and nonfiction who has given a tremendous amount of energy and time to the causes she is passionate about, which has benefited both the Guild and the wider arts community.